I ran into a lot of problems on my first iteration of the underworld. I originally wanted the whole world to be made of water and to take place at sunset. I made a few rookie mistakes that caused my program to crash continuously. I imported 3D models of skeletons I found online but failed to realized they were all rigged. After placing 8 of them in the scene my unreal wouldn’t open without crashing – making it hard to fix the problem.
2 days later I was able to open it long enough to delete the skeletons and then I changed the landscape to gold for good measure. Then I decided I didn’t really like my version of the underworld anyways and decided to start from sketch.
Over the weekend I’d tried a VR experience in a trippy mirrored world where your a robot with people dancing and praying to cats and you shoot cats of your hands. I loved the mirrored visuals in the world. I realized that this was what I liked so much about the water and maybe I could just use a mirror instead and it would take up a lot less of my computer’s energy. I played around for a bit and realized I could almost achieve this with a sky filled with clouds and highly reflective marble. It wasn’t exactly mirrored but it actually worked better.
With this new color palette I reverted back to my reference images and was struck my the one with hands coming out of the wall of a tunnel. Very creepy. But I wanted to make my world beautiful too like the reflected cave reference.
I found a 3D asset of hands (this time making sure they weren’t rigged or animated) and made a black and white version. I then planted them as foliage throughout the world. In my opinion the final effect was mysterious, disconcerting and beautiful and evoked everything I wanted my version of the underworld to. In this whole process I think I did my first application of my teacher’s advice of thinking smarter not harder in Unreal.